Tuesday, June 12, 2012

this rock

We live in a broken world where really difficult things happen.  But in the midst of any chaos or heartache or pain, my world is not shaken.

Jesus says in Matthew 7:24-27, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Jesus, You are my strength and through You I can do anything.  You are good and sovereign and Your plan is perfect.  "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard:  that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving." (Psalm 62:11-12a)

I am grateful that You've prepared me.  Grateful for Your timing--that chaos can ensue on the exact day that I closed the chapter from some old heartache and allowed healing to take place.  I am grateful for Your perfect plan and how You have chosen to put me in New Jersey (I see now that Blue Ridge was never going to happen).  I am grateful for the Godly people You have put in my life that care deeply for me--people that were there for me then and will be there for me again.

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." (Psalm 62:5-8)

<3

2 comments:

  1. So I never comment on people's blogs but I had to comment today. First of all, I am dealing with "old heartache" and just found your blog by searching those words along with "how to put aside". It's been really hard. I have been trying to lean on God and improve my self-esteem for several years now. Yet, I still think of the past and the former subject of my affections. I don't know what to do sometimes because at times I feel such despair. Anyway, I wanted to write and say that your post touched me. I actually read it at about 9am on the 12th (I am writing at 4am on the 13th) and I was amazed that I found something written on the exact day that I searched for it. I continue to seek God. But it makes me sad to think that I will still feel sadness and loneliness and confusion, but even so, I will continue to seek God.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing, Maureen!

      When we follow Jesus, He doesn't promise we'll have an easy life or never be sad or confused (we still live in a broken world). What He DOES promise is that we can have joy amidst all that. And He promises that if you bring your concerns to Him, He will give you a peace that transcends all understanding. Philippeans 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

      Jesus wants to redeem you and heal you completely. He wants you to not hurt anymore about that "old heartache." I encourage you to google and read some Scripture on healing. :) Also, getting biblical counseling or joining a small group at church and confiding in some Godly friends is a great way to externally process pain because those people can redirect thoughts to keep Jesus at the center. He loves you and wants you to be at peace.

      I pray that you find comfort in His words,
      Alyssa

      Delete