Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dear Mom,

Two years ago today Dad called me to come home from college.  Two years ago I sat in the living room for four days straight, letting Dad cry on my shoulder, letting him sleep while I stayed awake, and tending to your needs because the hospice thing got botched (of course, right?! haha).

From that Monday-Thursday I didn't sleep at all.  I was running on coffee and was so delirious I hallucinated a few times.  I didn't really mind it though, the days were sort of fun because soooo many people came over to say goodbye to you.  And we all sat around the hospital bed reminiscing.  They told me ridiculous stories about your high school years that I'm sure you failed to tell me for good reason hahaha but like mother like daughter(s), right?  It was the night time that I hated.  When the visitors left and it was just me and Dad and Kir and you.  I laid awake in complete fear each night that if I fell asleep no one would be awake if you were to die.  Every time I heard you gasp for breath or heard Dad snore loudly I physically jumped off the couch and ran over to check if you were still alive.  And at night when Dad and I would have to bring you to the bathroom, give you water through a small sponge, and move your limbs for you, I just wanted to break down.  Nights were the worst.

Two years ago today I had my last full conversation with you.  It was night time and it was just us in the room.  I remember crying so hard through most of it, not even being able to get out what I wanted to say because I couldn't stop crying.  There was too much to say.  I remember apologizing for everything, but I know that wasn't enough.  Mom I was a terrible daughter.  I was so psychologically messed up my whole life and I know that I probably gave you and Dad more anxiety than any parent bargains for.

I think Bean and Jessie came over to say goodbye on the second or third day.  They were like daughters to you and watching Bean's reaction sent me into a complete whirlwind of emotions.  I was so numb by the whole situation--too much stimuli to take in at once--and it all came crashing down at that one instant.  I remember the three of us walking in the backdoor, and Bean couldn't even see your face but she could see the bed in the living room.  She put her hands to her head and started crying and ducked into the dining room.  That made me lose it.  I remember running up the stairs to my room as fast as I could, and I could hear Bean running after me.  I slammed my bedroom door shut, almost in her face, but she ran in my room anyway.  I ran out past her and into the bathroom and I remember standing against the wall, breathing heavily, and slowly beginning to slide down the wall and into a ball on the floor as I cried harder than I had ever cried.  And Bean just held me.  There was nothing anyone could say.

You weren't just a mom to me and Kir and our best friends--you were literally a mom to all of Ewing High School.  You were their "Momma D."

If you were here today there is so much I would say to you--starting with how much I love you and how sorry I am for the years of pain I caused you.  I would tell you how I didn't end up transferring colleges and how I love my life in Virginia now.  That I changed my major from math to psychology with a minor in biology because I want to go to grad school to be an occupational therapist--the career path that you suggested to me one summer down the shore.

Most importantly I would tell you how great my life is now that I accepted Christ into my heart.  Mom, the joy that's with Him is unexplainable.  And I hope you know far better than me about that perfect love because my greatest hope in the world is that you are in heaven right now kickin' it with Jesus.  I would tell you all about how different my life is now and how I love my IV friends and my church in Virginia.  But Mom, just because I love Jesus now doesn't make this any easier.  (And time doesn't make it any easier either.)  A lot of people think that.  They think I shouldn't be sad after two years or because now that I know Christ it makes me miss you less.  But you know that's not the case.  If anything it makes things harder because I know how real salvation is and I have no way of knowing where you are right now.  I pray that you're in heaven, but my prayers won't change the destiny that is already active for you.  Two years isn't that long, and I'm still just a girl who needs her mom for various things all the time.  I think about how I wish I could call you almost daily, but I never tell that to people because I feel like they'd be like "JUST GET OVER IT ALREADY."  But I was a momma's girl and I want you here with me.  I'm still just a mere college kid... all my other friends depend on their parents more than they realize.  I think until a mom is taken away do we college kids actually realize how much one is needed.

Most of the time I wish you were here for the simple every day things.  I wish I could call you when I'm stressed over a class or work or when I'm debating which classes to take.  I wish I could call you for recipes or text you about boy-issues or friend-drama.  I miss having someone that actually cares when I'm sick and actually wants me to come home for breaks.  I miss the little times you would surprise me by buying me clothes when you were out or buying pineapple when you heard in passing conversation that I was craving some--Kir and I were constantly on your radar and you were constantly loving us and thinking of us.  I never showed you how appreciative I am for that.

I realize that God has a plan in taking you away from me so early in my life.  I committed my life to Christ soon after you died and I know that your death had a lot to do with not only me searching for answers and following the Lord, but with my rapid spiritual growth.  I've been through a lot more than most people my age and I think that's really helped me in my spiritual understanding of the Lord and His Word and why any circumstance occurs.  And I'm thankful that God has a will for my life and used you in that will, but I still frequently ask Him, "Was this really the only way, Lord?  Does it really have to be like this?  I miss her."

I know that while you were dying I promised you I'd take care of Dad and Kir, and thus far I've pretty much failed at that.  I'm never home and when I am we all just argue.  We have all developed new "rules" and new "ways of living" and it just seems that mine doesn't fit in with theirs anymore.  But I do promise you that I am praying that Christ softens their hearts--that they come to know their Savior like I (and I hope you) have.  Only He can take care of them; I cannot.

me & you before prom my junior year of high school


I miss you more than words can describe, Mom.  And I love you so much.

Love,
Lyss


4 comments:

  1. I miss you and your mom and now I'm crying. She loved you and she knew how much you loved her. I still think about her all the time and I know she'd be so proud of you. I'm proud of you, too. You're such a strong girl and you're doing great things. Miss you.
    xoxo-Kaliopi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure i can possible write as beautifully as you expressed yourself but i am going to try my best... Alyssa I was so lucky to have your mom in my life, she was my friend and like a sister to me in so many ways. Probably what i miss most about her is sitting over coffe and discussing our kids.. we said it all... some times our talks were serious, sometimes sad, sometimes funny, sometimes ridiculous.. sometimes we agreed, other times we didn't... BUT NEVER in any of those many many times, did your mom ever exress disappointment in you.. ya see, a moms heart is truly remarkable.. it has this uncanny ability to grow. It grows everytime she sees her child laugh, cry, stumble, fall, get up.. and fall again..it grows with every kiss, hug, heart to heart, and even with every smile from her child. You were everything your mom could ever ask for in daughter.. don't ever forget that Lys.. a few nights before your mom died I was lucky enough to spend a few hours alone with her ( she kicked your poor dad out of the room). She had some things to say that she knew were too hard for him at the time.. we talked about so many things,, mainly she talked and i listened.. she knew i was taking mental notes through my tears. She was so fearful of the effect her not being here would have on you. She wanted re-assurance that you would be ok.. that you would grow up strong, and focused and positive ( her words). Well lys, if i had to use words to describe you in a nutshell, they would be strong, focused and positive, amongst others. So, your mom is looking down from heaven now,smiling, knowing that her amazing strength, unconditional love, and lessons taught have helped to get you through the toughest times these last two years. And her heart is only growing bigger as she sees your smiles, your tears, your stumbles and your triumphs... She is proud of you, beyond her wildest dreams... and so am i! I miss her too.. everyday.. but i smile knowing that the promise i made to her to make sure you stay strong and focused is something you have managed to do with the help of your faith and of her beautiful spirit.. she will never ever be forgotten... I love you lys... miss nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts that are so close to your heart. I see God is bringing you through another layer of grieving, and yes it does take time. You don't "just get over" a mom, who was a source of life, nurture, truth, help and care for your whole life. Every year you will grieve her, perhaps differently each time. But, don't ever feel like you shouldn't- that is healthy.
    God has indeed done a miraculous and amazing work in your life- he truly does use all things for good in our lives. I am honored to have a seat to watch how He is at work in your life over these past several years. It strengthens my faith to read your writings, even as I sit here weeping with you. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! My name is Alissa too and though you don't know me, this blog was posted on facebook and it resonated with me so much. I'm 32 and just lost my mom 2 months ago tomorrow. Reading your words brought me back to those days in my parents house as we waited for my mom to pass. I just want to say what a blessing it is to see how your life has been changed through such a tragedy. Now you will be with your precious mom for eternity! You will be in my prayers. We are all part of one body and will soon stand before the throne of God. For now, we can share our lives and hope with others. Thank you for being so honest and for encouraging me to keep my eyes on what really matters most. Your mom would be very proud of the woman you have become.

    Alissa Kalczuk (my mom called me Lis too :)

    ReplyDelete