Friday, August 5, 2011

Shark Week

I am overwhelmed (to say the very least).

In the next week of my life I have 62 hours of working on the clock.  I also have two group projects to do, a paper, two tests, and the random usual assignments for my class.  Now, these aren't difficult things--it's actually been a pretty easy class thus far.  But I'm more overwhelmed by the fact that I don't have enough time in the day to do all of these things on top of my work schedule.

I move into my apartment in Virginia in three weeks.  I am working full-time and going to my night class up until four days before I leave for Virginia.  In the next three weeks I have the above responsibilities and a final exam to study for and take.  I must go to BJs with my aunt and uncle to stock up on things for school, as well as my usual start-of-the-school-year rituals like appointments and room/car cleanings.  I must pack up my things and stuff them into the car.  I also have several articles for my 491 research team that I was supposed to read before the first day of school and some C-Team duties left to do before we kick-off the year.

How am I going to manage all of this?!?!?!  But I know the Lord will get me through.  He always does, just in the nick of time when I feel like I've reached the level of impossible.

In addition, it's time to say my goodbyes.  And I'm really, really dreading it.  This summer I was blessed beyond my wildest dreams.  I got plugged in at my church at home and developed relationships with so many people that I have grown to truly love.  I've just started to get to know them.  How can I leave???

Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited for senior year.  And I can't wait to see what God has in store for InterVarsity this year.  But I can't say I won't be sad when I hit I-95 South in three weeks.


Bittersweet.

This week is Shark Week.  I count down to this week every summer because I just love learning about sharks! ("Nerdddddd." -- in the Steph Martin voice)



One of the clips was talking about what to do when you are in open water and a shark is present.  It mentions three things to get you through the "critical first phase:"

1. floatation
2. something to bind your wounds if you have any
3. and a weapon.

I feel like I'm drowning in responsibilities and lack of time right now.  And Satan (the shark) knows that and is trying to attack me.

My church is my floatation.  I have people that continue to challenge me so that my faith does not become stagnant.  I have people to cry to when my family situation breaks me down.  I have people that pray for me.  They are my raft.


Your wounds have to be bound right away in a shark situation because "you might not feel a cut when your adrenaline is pumping, but sharks can smell trace amounts of blood a mile away."  When life is overwhelming me, it's sometimes hard to see through the fog and clearly make out if I'm bleeding.  I can't feel it because my attention is so focused on other things.  But I know the areas that I have cuts in.  And I know that I need to quickly bind them up because the longer I leave them open the more Satan attacks.  Sinful situations seem harmless at first, but they can soon turn into habitual sins, and before I know it I'm dying because the shark is full-fledged attacking me.  There is an area that I keep putting off dealing with, especially because I am so busy, but I need to just face it.  I need to rip off a piece of my clothing and secure the wound shut.  If I keep bleeding it will surely lead to my death.


My weapon is Scripture.  Regardless of the day I have ahead of me or the homework that I should be doing, I make sure I wake up early each morning and read a chapter in the Bible.  It is only because I have really sought the Lord this summer that He has given me my floatation device.  And He continues to give me grace in the areas that I'm bleeding in (though I know that I need to bind these wounds ASAP).  Without the Word as my weapon, I would surely die.  A floatation device alone cannot save you in open water when you are bleeding and the shark is surrounding you.  You need a weapon, as well.  You need Scripture.

You need Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment