Saturday, July 2, 2011

Who run the world?

48 hours ago my life had an interesting string of events.  My friends and I wanted to go see Beyoncé perform live (for free) in Central Park on Good Morning America so we got in line at 3am.  We stood there, sardined with probably close to 10 or 20 thousand people, not moving, from 3am-7am.  To make a long story short we did not get in and did not see her perform, but we sat and listened to her sing right outside the arena.


Beyoncé performing in Central Park (July 1, 2011)

The fans were CRAZY.  People were screaming and physically fighting for hours.  The moment there was an inch of room everyone PUSHED forward.  In the beginning, this movement resembled a flock of penguins waddling about and I could not help but laugh over it, but as the hours dragged on it became a push to the finish line.  Mobs of people would run full force into the crowds in front of them, causing all of us to fall.  Around 6:30 people broke down the fences keeping us in and everyone was just running free, like a stampede on the loose.  Lord of the Flies, anyone?

People will do anything to see the star they love.

When I checked my facebook newsfeed on my phone around 5am, John Piper had posted this status:  On every scale of excellence God is infinitely greater than the best person you ever heard of.

Hmm.  I wondered if the people around me thought that God was better than Beyoncé.  Or if they thought God was good at all.  Or if they even were believers.  If Jesus was in that arena instead of Beyoncé would people have lined up 12 hours beforehand?  Would people be pushing, trying their hardest to get through the gates?

The thing is, Jesus was in that arena.  He is everywhere.  All the time.  And we constantly fail to see that.  And we constantly fail to show others that.  If I professed my love for Jesus to as many people as I professed my love for Beyoncé, maybe more people would be curious to seek Him.

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. --Psalm 34:8

My heart was hurting for many of the people around me during that time.  I know that with just a small sample-sized taste of Jesus, any heart could turn toward Him.  That's all it takes to understand His greatness is beyond anything we could ever fathom.  I just prayed that those around me would be willing to look for God's glory in the every day things.

Beyoncé performed her new song (which I love and have been listening to on repeat, might I add).  The chorus goes, "Who run the world?  Girls."  B, I love your girl power talk, but we don't run the world.  God does.  If more people could see that then more people would be able to see God constantly moving.  All day, every day.  More people would be able to acknowledge that He is good and yearn to take refuge in Him.  He is infinitely greater than Beyoncé (Sorry, B).

I stood pressed up against strangers, not moving, for four hours waiting to see Beyoncé.  Yet sometimes I stray so far from God and see myself actively making decisions that I know are against what He wants for me.  How is it that I can show so much dedication to a person I don't even know, but turn my back on the One that I have the most intimate relationship with?  I need to learn to give Jesus all of the control because He run the world.  And he needs to run my life.

1 comment:

  1. Robin and I love this. And we love you too. Yes. A-mazing.

    ReplyDelete